Tuesday 8 December 2015

Music Video - Preparation

In preparation for Music Video Production unit, I decided to photograph a live gig, in order to explore the technical aspect of capturing a live band and then apply this to the terms of moving image.


As I was capturing a live environment, it was paramount that I achieved the correct exposure. In order to do this I initially planned what additional equipment I would need. Considering the dark setting of most music venues, I decided that a telephoto or mid-range zoom lens would grant me the ability to shoot at a wide aperture, in order to allow more light into the images. This was vital, as a relatively fast shutter speed would be required to capture the movement of the band.






























I shot on the continuous mode, as this allowed me to capture a variety of frames ensuring that I was able to keep up with the pace of each subject and also meant it was less likely that I missed a good shot.


In addition to this, I shot on auto focus mode, once again this made certain that I had a good selection of shots and did not loose a good image, as a result of it being out of focus. I also did this, as the shallow depth of field meant that there was more in the shot that was out of focus and each subject would not remain stationary for very long, therefore shooting on manual focus would have proved difficult in trying to capture the main focus with accuracy. I also kept the ISO setting relatively high as this compensated for the loss of light as a result of a fast shutter speed.


No comments:

Post a Comment