Monday 11 April 2016

Music Video - Planning

After conducting research into music video production, I intend to combine studio performance and narrative in my own project. I have contacted a local band who are looking to create a music video and are particularly looking at shooting a studio style performance video.

I am particularly drawn to studio performance as there is scope to experiment with lighting, colour, camera angles and motion, as displayed in this video.


One of the most grasping aspects is the harmony between the visual and aural; the pace of the shots perfectly amplifies the music. This is achieved through the various camera movements, such as panning and zoom. Another visually enticing feature is the use of slow motion, which once again, amplifies the music, adding to the overall ambience.


The lighting set up is relatively simple by design, however it adds immeasurably to the mood, by creating high contrast and even lens flare which offers more dimension and depth. In addition to this, the lighting amplifies the music by running in time to the track, altering colour and intensity accordingly. During the chorus, there is a warmer and brighter feel overall, as opposed to the verses, where the temperature is noticeably colder and lighting is overall less intense.

Visually, I would like to achieve something similar in my own production, however would need to consider the lyrical and conceptual elements of the song I am using.

I think a studio performance in this style would be complimented by a conceptual narrative. However, as mentioned I would need to consider the musical and lyrical elements of my chosen song before developing any ideas for a narrative. I intend for the visuals to amplify the music as well as the lyrics, I would also like to edits the cuts in time to the music to reflect the pace of the audio.

No comments:

Post a Comment