Monday 1 February 2016

Psychoanalytical Fim - Evaluation

I intended to have a sense of disorientation lead the flow of the final sequence, as this would reflect the internal struggles of the featured subject.

The mind is constantly wandering between past experiences or the unknown depths of the future. Therefore, my intent was to portray the ambiguity of chronology and structure, by showing the subject aimlessly traversing back and forth through various situations, whilst attempting to console the ongoing conflict between his id, ego and superego. To enhance this concept visually, I decided not to include any conspicuous establishing shots, in order to maintain a constant state of unfamiliarity and disorientation.

I shot each section of the sequence multiple times, from various angles, in order to give visual versatility, this also gave me the opportunity to make use of editing techniques, such as the 30 degree rule.


I chose to film long takes, when there was a particular focus upon the subject. This enabled me to utilise jump cuts during post production, once again, enhancing the mental opposition and confusion. To compliment this, I overlaid clips and altered the opacity, in an attempt to produce a visual representation of the perplexing psyche.
















I also made the decision to edit the footage to monochrome. I felt that these colours present certain connotations which are relevant in expressing the subjects emotions. The colour white is associated with purity and wholeness. Black represents secrecy and mystery, just as the subject is attempting to suppress a dimension of himself from the world. What black covers, white uncovers. Therefore, each colour perfectly represents an element of his psyche.

As there were multiple shots which formed various scenes, I was sure to organise my footage into folders, so that the process of editing could be conducted in a manageable and orderly manner. This proved beneficial in terms of adhering to deadlines; with an organised layout, I was able to sift through my footage, pick out the shots that were required an speed up the overall editing process.


No comments:

Post a Comment