Tuesday 19 January 2016

Promotional Video - Preperation



In preparation for the promotional video unit, I was given a brief from which I was directed to document the work of an art student.


Before I even began conducting any planning, I attempted to develop my understanding of the art piece itself, by engaging in regular meetings with the student and asking them to explain their planning process and any meaning behind the work. This not only enabled me to further my understanding of the artwork, but also provided me with enough insight to capture and portray it authentically.

I then began to plan what I wanted to shoot; I decided to capture the entire work process, from start to finish, as well as incorporating an interview set up to intersect the action shots with.


I had produced a series of questions that I would ask the student, in order to form a good structure to the interview section of the shoot. I wanted the questions to evoke in-depth answers so that I could enhance the speech with various shots of the student working and the final piece itself.

I used a single camera set up for the interview, however when documenting the student working, I had two camera's set up, with an additional one focusing on the intricacies of the work. With the third, handheld camera I was sure to utilise the entire work space and shoot from various angles and perspectives. This not only creates visual interest, these shots also compliment what is being said during the interview. 


Overall, I feel that this project has allowed me to explore and develop my practical and planning skills. Which has served as experience and practice towards the 'promotional video' unit of work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment