Friday 18 September 2015

Unit 30 - Camera Shots

Camera Shots and Movement - Evaluation

There are varying elements that compose the visual aspects of film's language, including camera shots and movements.

From experimenting with capturing a range of these, I found that there was a diverse element of trial and error. Overall, I wanted to achieve a consistent level of quality in terms of composition, therefore I chose to shoot within a location that offered visual appeal and aesthetic, whilst not distracting from the predominant point of focus, therefore I chose a setting that displayed a range of neutral hues. In addition, I worked to incorporate such composition like rule of thirds  and Leading Lines, as well as making full use of the foreground, mid-ground and background.

For the Establishing Shot, I wanted to express the significance of the surroundings, however still keep the focus upon the subject; as a result, I decided to have them within the centre of the frame. The location itself formed a sense of natural balance and symmetry, complimenting the use of leading lines, allowing the viewer to follow the movement of the subject. Overall, I felt that this was a successful capture, as it combined good composition, with the depth and dimension of the shot type.


Correspondingly, the range of portrait style shots, from Long Shot to the Extreme Close Up, worked particularly well, as a result of composition and the fact that I chose to shoot them using a relatively shallow depth of field, to allow the predominant focus to fall upon the subject. However, as a result of the chosen location, I was faced with the issue of camera shake, due to the wind. To overcome this problem in the future, I would be sure to have a more steady camera set-up; using a fluid head tripod would be an appropriate option, as they provide more stability and are specifically designed to cater for moving image production.



For the Tracking Shot the most challenging aspect, was trying to get as little camera shake as possible. However, without the use of suitable equipment - such as a dolly - this wasn't easily achieved. Conversely, the hand-held element did provided a more authentic ambience, by really accentuating the organic setting and placement of the subject within the frame.




























For the final video, I chose to have title slides that explain each camera shot or movement, as opposed to a voiceover, as I felt that this would provide more detailed, yet succinct explanations. Following this, cinematic examples are presented, to allow the viewer to recognise the shot in a more familiar format, then once they are able to identify and recognise it, my own example is presented.



I kept this order consistent throughout video and - with the use of bins - kept each of the files within their own folder to keep things organised and clearly laid out.



Overall, I feel that this project allowed me to explore, challenge and strengthen my own camera and editing skills, both technically and compositionally, which I can now implement into future tasks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment